SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Accidents Lead to Ribbon Pudding !


Are accidents life’s way of telling you “Slow down” or is it just a bad omen of the times you are going through?

You would have read in my this post about how I was elated and over the top about getting my car license. Then, you must also know that I met with three road accidents this year. But hasn’t this year just begun? Precisely, last 4 months = 3 road accidents in which in two of them I was doing the driving and alone for good or for bad ! And the third one, a week back was in company with the husband.

As the accidents have grown in number, they also grew in intensity. The first one being just a scratch on the car, second one being a little more major with the car’s bonnet and bumper needing care to and the third being the ultimate which culminated in the other vehicle being overturned. Fortunately and I would like to believe that due to divine intervention, there was no damage or as much as even a scratch to any human life.

But again, it was our brand new car which we both were so proud of.  Maybe is this God’s way of reminding us – Pride goes before a fall.

Though the car is back to its/ his (as the husband would like to say !) shiny new condition, I still shudder when I sit in the car and the old incidents keep playing in my mind over and over again. I always attempt to look at situations optimistically, so probably I would like to make myself believe that possibly even terrible times got averted with these accidents.

Meanwhile in such unfortunate times, only sweet treats can elevate one’s mood. So when I came across this recipe from Mrs. Lakshmi Nair, I knew it would do the trick and also combat the sudden soaring temperatures

She calls it the RIBBON PUDDING which I assume is because of the ribbon like appearance of the three flavours which comprise the pudding- Chocolate, Vanilla and Coffee. Couldn't possible go wrong , right?You can also have a look at her earlier pudding recipe, made by me posted here.

I have made some minor modifications. However have put the original measurements in brackets.

RIBBON PUDDING

I got a mini loaf pan+ fluted pattisserie pan
Yields 6-8 servings or serves 2 very sweet-toothed people !


  • Milk – 3.5 cups = 3 + 0.5  ( 4 cups or 750 ml as stated by her which didn’t make sense to me, so I used 3.5 cups)
  • Sugar-  1 cup ( or 1 ¼ cup)
  • Vanilla custard powder- 1.5 Tbsp
  • Gelatin – 3 Tbsp
  • Cold water – ½ cup (or Ice cold water)
  • Fresh Cream- 1.5 cups
  • Coffee powder – 1.5 tsp
  • Cocoa powder – 1.5 Tbsp
  • Boiling water- ¼ cup + ¼ cup
  • Vanilla essence- ½ tsp
Method:
  • Heat 3 cups of milk and when the steam starts appearing from it, add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
  • In another bowl,  add the custard powder  to the remaining 0.5 cup of milk, and mix till no lumps.
  • Now add this custard milk into the first milk mixture and keep stirring on medium heat until the entire mixture thickens. This would take about 10-15 mins.
  • Simultaneously, mix the gelatin in the ice cold water and leave aside for 15 mins.
  • Once the custard-milk-sugar mixture thickens, add the gelatin which would have turned into a big jelly like lump.
  • Keep stirring on medium heat, until the gelatin gets fully dissolved.
  • Once done, switch off the heat and either transfer mixture into a larger bowl to allow it to cool faster else immerse the base of the pan in some ice cold water.  Allow the entire mixture to cool to room temperature.
  • Whisk the cream separately with a fork and add it into the cooled milk. Fold the cream completely into the custard.
  • Meanwhile, dissolve the coffee powder in the ¼ cup of boiling water and the cocoa powder in the other ¼ cup of boiling water.
  • Divide the custard into three bowls.
  • Since there is no actual measurement, what I did was halve the entire mixture and then further divide one of the halves into two portions.  One of the halves to be divided into 1/3rd and 2/3rds further and other half to be left as it is. Hope this hasn’t confused you further !
  • The intention is the majority portion is for vanilla, the least for coffee and the medium for chocolate.
  • Now, add the vanilla essence into the largest custard portion. The coffee into the least portion of the custard and the chocolate mixture into the medium portioned custard.
  • What remains is only the setting of the pudding.
  • Grease the pudding pans with some butter.
  • First pour the coffee custard into the base of the pan and allow it set in the freezer for 15-20 mins.
  • Once you are sure it is set, then only pour the vanilla custard and to set it again for 15-20 mins in freezer.
  • Then to pour the chocolate custard and allow it to set.
  • On setting, the pudding wobbles and jiggles like a beautiful belly dancer and ofcourse is now fit to be photographed !
  • On setting, store in the refrigerator and serve cold as wedges/slices.
Note:
  • This recipe can be made “Pure vegetarian" by using the china grass/ agar-agar like here.
  • Since I made this late in the night, I just did not have the time to use the china grass as my setting agent as its utilization needs a slightly more detailed process.
  • The flavours can be experimented with probably strawberry,butterscotch, mango anything which comes to your mind for that matter !



How we liked it?

I also served to some guests for a dinner get-together at home. The texture and its perfect blend of the three flavours was well appreciated . They also especially complimented its moderate sweetness. Me and my hubby relished it the next day as our post-breakfast sweet treat and the chilled dessert was so refreshing during the summer heat. I intend to try this with some different flavours next time.

Also sending this across to Amina's blog event.

So until next time, adios amigos !

21 comments :

  1. the pudding looks gorgeous, and I hope as the saying goes, bad things happen in 3, I hope u will never ever ever have an accident again;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u so much Jehanne...Yes that was precisely what some of our well wishers too said..Hope what you said turns into complete reality as well.. Hugs !

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for linking it to my event... the pudding looks stunning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure dear, will hopefully send more !! All the best with your event.. :)

      Delete
  3. Pudding luks stunning and perfect..my mom makes similar versions..Sounds too good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Priya for stopping by..really?? Same with me..Though I am more inclined to baking, my mom inspired me to start making puddings..

      Delete
  4. Hi Gayathri so nice to meet yo and your lovely blog! Thanks so much for visiting mine and sharing prawn-pickle filled hostel memories! those days were the best huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rose, ohh prawns pickle has become so synonymous to hostel for me infact. Even some of my friends still relate to me because of that, haha...Really, such precious times were those..

      Delete
  5. Thank God you and everyone is safe and sound after so many accidents..wish u safe driving..and really this pretty looking pudding must have put all negative thoughts on the back burner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Anamika, yes all is well fortunately ! Only food can eradicate any such bad memories ! How's ur health..heard the news ! :)

      Delete
  6. Pudding looks delicious...Lovely flavors and texture..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Reshmi...loved your pomegranate pannacotta ! Brilliant stuff !!

      Delete
  7. Hello! After visiting your blog, I invite you to join us in the "International Directory Blogspot"
    For this is the very simple, just follow our blog, enter your Country, your blog url, and you will automatically integrate into the Country list.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world to share with us the different passions, fashion, paintings, artwork, photos, poems and so be able to find in other countries people with similar passions.
    I think this community could also interest you.
    Please follow our blog is very appreciate
    Have a great day with the hope that you follow our blog "Directory".
    After your approval to join us, you will receive your badge
    Regards
    Chris
    I follow you
    To find out, click on the link below:
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank u so much dear !! Pls do not mind my delayed response..absolutely thrilled to have the awards.. !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whenever I hear about your accidents, I get so scared. I kind of deters me from getting my driving license.
    That aside, I am totally tempted to make this ribbon pudding; it looks beautiful.
    With a fantastic camera that you have, it is tad unfair that you take only 2 photos for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pudding looks yummy..U well named it :)
    am ur new follower. Do visit my space at ur free time
    www.recipeworld1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. will i be able to get the layerd pudding if i avoid using china grass or gelatin?
    pls reply immediately....RT

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi :)
    which cream to be used? amul cream or whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi pretty cool blog. There certainly are some good useful information. Hopefully you keep up the good work! Those recipes look delicious! electric pressure cooker reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank You So Much To Sharing This Blog Post.. United Pressure cookers is the dominating company of the Indian era, very popular and lovable by the customers. The company is successfully running with the tag of best brand dealing in manufacturing pressure cookers and other cookwares.

    ReplyDelete

Thank u so much for dropping by..Would love to hear what is simmering and whistling at your end !